"Moby and Me...."

What do you do when you come Face to Face with one of your gods?

Would you kneel in their presence and marvel at their greatness?

Would you get all giddy and faint with a loud shriek like Judy Jetson meeting Jet Screamer?

or would you just blather something incoherent like Peter Griffin meeting Gene Simmons?

I might have mentioned that I met MOBY once at the "18" Midnight Album release party in May 2002. How I totally had a Chris Farley moment and didn't know how to relay his greatness to him as he signed my CD and a copy of his Biography...

I remember muttering something like "I came out here in the rain..." Because it was raining, on a midnight tuesday and I had to go to work the next day.

It was one of the few embarrassing times I actually got star struck (I mean, I've meant celebrities before in the city and was cool as a cucumber!)

ANYhooo....

You couldn't imagine how excited I was when I found out late monday that HE was going to being signing CD's in person at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square today from 7pm to 9!

You had to buy the album and request a wristband during the day (There was gonna be a limit of 300!) then come back and line up at the back of the Virgin Coffee Cafe in the evening.

I wasted no time, getting up early and buying my CD by 12 noon, then I came back uptown for haircut. I then came back home for a little while, took a shower, ate...all while being a nervous wreck!

6:15 rolls by and I head back downtown.

I get to the store by 7 on the dot. There's a small line of about 16 people already against the wall, not necessary around the corner-type action, but HEY, it's early!

As I wait, onlookers and looky-loos ask "Who's everyone waiting to see?" and someone would answer and naturally the immediate response is "Who's MOBY?!?!"

Geez, you'd think the guy would be getting SOME recognition by now..."Natural Blues" was nominated for a Grammy in 2002 and he performed it live with Blue Man Group and Jill Scott!

Well, his time will come, maybe if he'd sing at the Olympics one day, like Bjork, I dunno....

well, 20 minutes later, I'm in in the store, a few people ahead of me. Snippets of the new album are playing, people are drinking espresso and other high-strung caffeinated drinks, avid fans are taking distant shots with cameras and cell phones...

*Damn, why didn't I bring that extra phone Miss Philadelphia gave me?...It had a camera in it!!!*

Well, at least I had brought my other digital camera, I took a couple of pics inside, while waiting...

"Be Calm, dude...don't choke this time..."

What DO you say to one of your TRUE idols!!?!?

The time finally came and I was a little less incoherent and able to stay cool...

I told him I love his music and I was at the last signing and that I've been to 3 of his concerts...

Then came the picture...OMIGOD!!!

I had noticed he usually stood beside the person and jus put his arm around the person's shoulder (Heh, there was even a pic he took with TWO young blonds, one at each hip, the player!!) but I thought I was too gargantuan for that, so at the last minute, inspiration hit me!!

I remembered that picture of Nixon and Elvis...



and figured, that would be perfect!

The result...History in the Making!



ME and MOBY...a handshake for the ages.

Then I remembered...

"Shyt, he's bit of a Germaphobe, Obsessive compulsive like Monk or Howie Mandell...the last thing he possibly wanted was to shake my hand!"

Well, the moment was come and gone by now, I thanked him one more time and told him I was looking forward to more music by him, then I was ushered away from the desk he was sitting at (I went the wrong way, like some idiot at an award ceremony).

I took a couple other pics from afar, one of the display shelf for the album and one of him signing someone else's CD.

BTW, he signed My CD, the Line notes inside AND my Metrocard for the hell of it, LOL!

His autograph was once again a lil caricature of himself.

When I got home, I called my cousin in VA and emailed her the pic and she jus DIED!!!! She's just as obsessed of moby as I am, it freaked her out and she is SOOOOO Jealous, Ha Ha!!!

Wow, what a day.

I plan to blow up that picture and hang it up in my room...

*sigh*

Comments

5 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger ac said…

    OMG! That is one of the most amazing fan pictures I've ever seen! Did you notice he has on a flying spaghetti monster tee shirt?? How cool is that! I have a flying spaghetti monster emblem on my car. Anyway, you always keep me on the edge of my seat when you tell a story. Thanks for sharing your AWESOME brush with greatness! ac

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    wow jet.
    i can't imagine how you must be feeling. pretty amazing i'm sure.

    congrats on meeting your one true idol!

    i'm sure you're over the freakin' moon....

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger ac said…

    Hey Jet, Can I bother you for some transformers trivia?

    Was there a main Transformer character that was left out of the movie? Thanks in advance.

     
  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger Les said…

    Ummm, maybe a few FAV. The Radio "SOUNDWAVE" on the Deceptions was expected, but replaced by one of the tapes named "Frenzy" (That small crazy one that sliced his own head off!) rumors have him hopefully appearing in the sequel...They had a good set of Autobots (The Good Guys) the only favorite left out would probably be the DINObot "GRIMLOCK", but robo Dinosaurs would have been a bit harder to explain...

    Hey, did you know they're making a G.I. JOE movie now, too?

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger ac said…

    Thanks Jet. The girl and I just saw the movie. (I know! We're LAME!) We thought it was amazing. We were reading the reviews you wrote back in the summer. I thought I remembered you saying at the time that you were disappointed that they had left something out... Something about an original transformer character from the cartoon. We read all your transformer posts and couldn't find anything like that. I must have gotten it wrong. No big surprise. ha!

    I've actually HAD the Transformer movie since it came out. I just hadn't watched it until Friday. Now I can't stop. I need an intervention. HA!

    I did hear something about the making a GI Joe movie. You will tell me if it's good or not. From now on if you say it's good, I am SO THERE!



    After searching the tristate area, I ended up buying a little Honda Metropolitan scooter. I really wanted a Vespa but they are just too big and heavy for a little person like me. I'm only 5'2. I had to be on my tippy toes to reach the ground. Just wasn't enough traction to hold the damn thing up. The Captain says I might grow into it. I'm having a little trouble believing my legs will get longer. ha

    You should think about getting one some day. They are the most fun I've ever had on wheels!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home