"Missed Opportunities"

For the last two days, I have been staring at my phone. I've applied for so many jobs in the last month alone I feel like a college student looking for schollarships. Why won't it RING?!?!? With all that's going on, I've been afraid to leave the house, thinking the minute I leave, the next golden opportunity is going to pass me by. Today, I had no choice. I had an appointment with Legal Services:New York (Bronx division). It seem that (by chance) my zip code in under the jurisdiction of a city agency assigined to help "Hard-Luck" cases such as myself. When I answered my petition tuesday, I was sent to a different office within the courthouse where I was given my court date and instructed to contact their Legal Assistant and schedule a meeting with a Legal Services Cousul. I've played the housing legal game once before, this was new and I was very greatfull for the help. I also had to do my taxes, so the tax refund can come in just in the nick of time to help me break even on the rent. There was also the Quickbooks class comming up at City College I was trying to apply to, they start March 3rd and I'm sure there's a deadline so I had to hustle.

So, that's the plan. I left the house at 1:30, and arrived at 2pm for appointment with Legal Services. THEY however, took forever to arrive to meet me! (Lawyers!) I was briefed and interviewed, they made copies of all my documents and told me to come back next wednesday. BUT, I told them my court date was tuesday and I was instructed to tell my landlord's lawyer and the judge that I have enlisted help of Legal Services and request an "Adjournment" (the word sounds familar from all those Law & Order episodes, but I don't know exactly what it means...). Don't sign no deals, don't do anything but mention that word. The judge should reschedule and we'll see what happens after that. After leaving the courthouse, I headed over to manhattan to meet with my mom's CPA. Normally, I wouldn't take my taxes to these wackos, but they helped my mom out in a bind last year and she promised to give them more business.

I wasn't suprised by the wait at the CPA's office, the people are so laid back, you'd think they were mexican (But they're actually dominican). I waited so long, my mom swung by when she got off work (her manicurist is next door.) so when my return was done I went over and waited while she got her nails done. I walked mom home at 6:30pm and she treated me to dinner while we looked at past episodes of "Medium" that I taped for her. There was a moment in time when I wanted to tell her what I'm going through, but I didn't wanna ruin the moment we were having while we were eating dinner together. I can tell she misses having company for dinner AND she also proud that I'm living on my own, I just can't bring myself to tell her how my life is crashing to the ground yet. I have some time, and I'm getting help, it'll only be a manner of weeks before I get another job (I hope.).

When I got home, I finally had a message on my machine. It was in reference to a job I applied for online! They left a number, but it was all the way out in the middle of Jersey. I guess I was a little desperate the other day. It didn't matter, people were calling...I just had to stay home and answer the phone! Too bad that wasn't happening no time soon!

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home