"Live from the Ed Sullivan Studio..."

A year ago today, a man walked in his miserable job for the last time, and said his good byes with grace, humor, and style. So, here today, on the 1 year anniverary of his freedom, he presents to you, a recreation of a company email sent to the 70+ fellow co-workers he had deal with for over two and a half years....

FROM:Les
TO:"Staff of Community Choice Health Plan (CCHP)"

SUBJECT: The Top 15...Cuz' "Top 10's are so lame...


Here now for your shocking pleasure....

The Top 15 Reasons Les is leaving CCHP
(Yes, It's true, folks...)

15. Just landed the lead role in "CSI: New York"

14. I'm the new starting First Baseman on the New York Yankees (Why Not?, they just paid a lot of money for someone else to play out of their normal Position!)

13. I figured I'd give Hockey a try...boy, they really know how to treat their players in that game!

12. I finally got the dream job of testing Video Games (I'm set for life!)

11. Jay-Z's Retiring, so is Puffy, and maybe Beyonce, too...I figured, why not me?

10. You remember that 220 Million Dollar MegaMillions Lotto Drawing?...(Points to himself)..."Bingo!"

9. I'm trying out to be the next "American Idol"

8. I'm replacing Donovan McNabb as starting Quarterback if the Phillidelphia Eagles

7. I've been casted to play Homer Simpson in a live action movie of "The Simpsons"

6. I'm going underground, the RIAA is finally after me for burning all those CD's and Downloading all those songs for you people!!!

5. They're gonna do a new reality TV show based on me! It's called "Les in the City" (As opposed to "Sex in the...ah, forget it, that one was too bad to finish...)

4. Honestly, I really miss our ex-supervisor. (S'yeah F**king RIGHT!!!!)

3. Well, ya see, I gotta take this ring I found to this fiery volcano where it can be destroyed...

2. It's the darndest thing...I'm engaged to Halle Berry, so um, I never have to work again, ever.

1. (With british accent) I never got a bloody T-Shirt!!!!



Pretty wild, huh? Keep in mind this was 2004, so some of these may seem weird (CSI:NY didn't even start till september, I had no idea they were really doing one!...The Yankees got A-Rod who usually played shortstop...That hockey player that got slammed real hard...yadda, yadda, yadda. As for the tee-shirt thing, that was a personal jab involving the company picnic and them running out of company shirts before they got to me (They gave them out by last name and mine ends with a letter near the end of the alphabet, I'm used to it...)

I had given only my direct supervisors two days notice, and no one else knew, so when they got the email my co-workers couldn't believe it. They were shocked as hell. They wondered why, and where would I go, and wanted to give me a nice send off (Party, cake, gifts and junk!), but that was why I did it that way. I didn't want all the attention. I found it so ironic that these people treated me so nice in the end after treating me like shit for the previous 6 months. Office pranks, taking advantage of my kind ways, asking me for favors while talking about me behind my back. They weren't missing me, they were missing their punching dummy, their whipping boy, the half dead, beaten up little mouse was finally getting away from the saddistic cat that toyed with it.

It was the third time in my life that I had quit a job, but the first time quitting without securing another job. I had set up a few interviews, but they didn't lead to anything. The first full week I was away felt like paradise...fear and worry started to set in by week 3. But a full month later, in the middle of April, I found minor salvation in a temp assignment that I managed to milk till the end of the year. But now a full year later, seeing what's happening now, one tends to think if the decison to leave may have been a bit rash.

I guess you had to be there, though. Working out of the city, doing a two-fare commute, paying out of city taxes, dealing with the abuse...I was miserable, and 2 seconds away for resorting to violence against my idiotic supervisor. I've been pushed to limits before and I would never let a job get the best of me, and seeing how things are now a year later if I had to, would I do it all over again?


Yeah, I definately would.

My grandfather told me something once, "A nigger would enjoy an hour of freedom on the run, than a lifetime of being a slave." I really didn't believe that till a year ago, I feel no job is worth your well being, even if it puts a roof on your head and food in your mouth. If you're just working to work, and not being happy, it's just not worth it.

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    And I thought David Letterman's TOP 10 was hilarious. Too funny! I'd pay to see Homer in a live action movie. DOH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home