“Father’s Day”

I woke up at 10am today, then headed out at noon. It took two hours by train and bus but I made it all the way to Throgs Neck, all the way to St. Raymond’s. I guess it was kind of ironic mom planning her trip this weekend. She never wants to come here. It’s always “Too Cold” in March and “Too Hot” in June, today was nice and perfect. I don’t know the exact address of the grave, I just know it by the other nearby monuments. Like 14 rows north of the main entrance, near one that had an Italian name that started with a B. Then I found it. *sighs* Nobody comes here anymore, Granddaddy. I guess they’re not used to cemeteries like I am, it doesn’t bother me to pay my respects to the ones I’ve lost, I’ve been secretly doing it a long time.

You know, when I think of you a story comes to mind…

I didn’t speak till I was Three years old. Not a word, no baby talk, nothing. I’d cry of course, but I never tried to speak. Mom and Dad thought I was deaf at one point, and had me checked out. Could you imagine? Three years with no “Momma” or “Dada”, it freaked them out. Then one day mom took me over to visit you and when we walked in, you were about to pass us by in the living room to go the kitchen. Mom took off our coats and turned to the closet, as you went by to the kitchen, you looked directly at me and gave me a nonchalant “Hi”. You said it to me and not Mom so I politely said “Hi” back. And then my mother just gasped and you froze. You then bent down and looked at me again and said “Hi” and I smiled said it back, “Hi”. It was my very first word, a word to you.

You were always there for me, Granddaddy. Whenever I did something bad, mom would get the belt to whip me, but you would get a camera and step in to take a picture, saving me from a spanking. Mom said you were spoiling us, but I’d like to think of it as nurturing. You encouraged my interest in computers when you brought my Apple 2C, you were definitely ahead of your time, you would have loved the modern technology we have now.

I miss you every day, Granddaddy, I’m doing the best not to let you down, and I look forward to seeing you again someday…

Happy Father’s Day.

Comments

2 Comments:

  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Very sweet post Jet. I'm sure he's proud of ya.

    Why no HAPPY FATHERS DAY to your own dad? Nosey aren't I? Not really...just curious.

    Ya know what? My daughter didn't speak til just right after her 4th birthday. We also had her checked and her pediatrician said it was because her brother did all the talking for her. She'd make noises-grunts and groans and he knew what she wanted. Then she started talking-and lordy she hasn't shut up since.

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger Les said…

    It's a LOOOONG story about FATHER (See, people only say "FATHER" in cold reference...), needless to say, all he gave me was a last name...an name that truly isn't mine. If I could, I'd take my mother's maiden name (Actually I have as my professional Writer's name on the TV Show...).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home