"Rome wasn't built in a day..."

Part 2

Where was I?, oh yea, Friday.

I manage to get to work and perform functionally without showing a hint of psychological damage to my mental state (I'm good at hiding the scars..). After work I head down to a Time Warner Cable Xpress Center on 23rd Street. Now, I only wanted to ask some questions, I didn't think I'd get the damn Self-Instalation Kit myself without producing a bill or something, BUT they didn't seem to care. I named the address, the phone number and an ID to prove I was in the household and BOOM, the kit was mine. If only other things were this easy in life...but I spoke too soon.

It didn't hit me till the bus ride home, that our cable hookup isn't exactly normal. My grandfather was a genius, a man ahead of his time, he managed to jury-rig a single household cable feed to two other rooms in the house unbeknown to the company. Our hookup has been that way with no service maintence for over 30 years, or maybe 20, I don't know, as long as I could remember...

MOM says that after I moved out and she had her second roommate, he requested the company visit the house to improve his frail wires and they did with no incident, that was over three years ago, who's to say things won't be diferent now?

So, I get home, praying that everything works, when naturally, it does't. I may not be as sharp as my grandaddy, but I'm no dunce, either. I try all possible hook-ups and other drastic ideas and suddenly the whole house looks like one of those decks of a ship in the movie "The Matrix" or Doc's Lab in "Back to the Future"...wires everywhere, computer componets lined across the floor, it's a mess. I worked so hard to get this broadband connection up and running, but it's no use. Saturday morning I try again and then call the cable company for some help. They send test signals over the line but the modem doesn't respond, It doesn't acknowlege the PC Link, nor the Cable Link. My PC registers a broadband connection but the internet does't load up. I break out my router and try setting up a hub, hell, might as well get a network up between my Laptop, the PC, and maybe an old PS2 or new PS3...nothing. The cable wires are not sending enough of the signal to the modem, looks like the cable company's gonna have to make a visit.

After throwing in the towel, saturday evening, I start to think if it's worth it...maybe I should take the damn kit back and just keep dealing with dial-up. MOM says nothing'll go wrong if they come, she's sick of me blocking up the phone lines anyway, she didn't seem to mind when it comes to looking things up online for her or downloading corny music for her dipstick friends and co-workers!

So, this afternoon after waking up, I set up an appointment for thr 26th. Ironically, that's the weekend of the wedding mom's going to in Ohio AND my niece's birthday weekend away at Merytle Beach (Sp. Chk), AND JOE's birthday. To be all alone this coming weekend, I was thinking of making some "PLANS", but now this whole broadband thing's got be nervious till then...

Whatta weekend...I should of thought things out before planting the seeds...I hope this don't blow up into anything.

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home