"Rent...and Lent"

"Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes...."

So the musical "Rent" is finally out on DVD. I wonder If I can bring myself to "rent" the movie "RENT" (Hee, hee, I couldn't resist...) and sit down and watch it without thinking about my EX...

RENT really wasn't a box-office smash at the movies due to the Harry Potter Onslaught at the time...makes you wonder about other past faliures coming off the "The Great White 'Way" and moving to the big screen..."Phantom of the Opera" took forever and was a flop, and even "The Producers" fell short to the "King Kong" fever in late December. I think the last sucessfull Broadway crossover was "Chicago", it did win the Oscar for 2002...

Then there's the weird pattern of Movies becoming Musicals..."Chitty-Chitty, Bang-Bang" popped up in the city during the spring last year, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" made a big debut, and let's not forget Oprah's "The Color Purple"...

I can't see paying 10.25 for movie that people were paying 70 something dollars to see performed live 9 times a week for some many months...and vice-versa, it's too weird.

Next Tuesday is Mardi Gras, and so another one of my dreams goes unfulfilled. It's a lifelong goal to one day party down at the big easy, throw beads at topless chicks on the French Quarter. I know they say it gets BUCK WILD down there, but hey, "moth to the flame", man...One day I'll go, one day...

Along with "Fat Tuesday"...Next week is also "Ash Wednesday", the first day of Lent. Even though I have lost my faith at the moment, I still take time to practice acts of penance by giving up a certain vice for 40 days (Till Easter...). In the past I've given up many things...

* Swearing
* Using unflatering or inapporate nicknames for co-workers (I'm worst than "Sawyer" on LOST...)
* Drinking Orange Soda in the Morning (THAT was one HARD set of days!)
* Complaining
* Chocolate (Another hard year...)
* Video Games
* Being mean to my Sister
* Watching Violence on TV
* Using the phrase "But I'm saying, though!"
* Whistling Indoors

This year I wanna do something positive, instead of doing less of something, do more...

* Listen to nothing but Classical or Jazz music.
* Read at least 15 books
* Watch one movie that came out before I was born (1975) a day.
* Complete at least 2 episodes of the show
* Bowl a couple of games at least once a week
* Go somewhere in the city that I have never been to everyday after work.

I can't think of anything else for the moment, Well, I got a week before I decide...

Till then...

PEACE!

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    my mom reminded me to think on lent....

    i am a non practicing catholic but i try to give up something each year....this year i thought like you and thought i'd give and not take away....i know what i have to do it's just getting the courage to do it.....

    i hope you hear somethin soon from those jokers workin' on your pilot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home