"Music make me High..."

'bout eight years ago...

I was wandering around Tower Records in the Village when a song came on the PA system that caught my ear. It was a hip hop group rapping over a Live Instrument type beat sort of like The Roots. The pounding of the drums and the use of trumpet horns reminded me of a beat I had heard in a video game (I kinda dig the whole Video Game soundtrack thing...), a cut-scene theme from the classic "Ninja Gaiden" (NES version from Tecmo circa 1989!). So, I went up to the DJ booth and asked "Who's that playing?" the guy digs behind the table and hands me the album "Behind the Front" by a little unknown upcoming band called THE BLACK EYED PEAS!...the rest is history.

It's amazing how a chance encounter can influence your taste in music. Just wander around the music store and you may hear something new you might like...

Fast Forward to today...

Moby's new Concert DVD for the "Hotel" tour (That I SHOULD of seen myself at Webster Hall last year!...UGH (Biting my clenched finger!)) came out this week and I went to the Virgin Megastore to pick it up.

For SOME bizarre reason the damn store didn't have in stock yet so I wandered around the electronic music section for a bit. A song came over the speakers that I started to feel...

It had a jazzy-flute/recorder thing to it. I LOVE the recorder! Not too many people play it in jazz these days. I have three albums by Bobby Militello (Who currently plays Sax and Flute for the Dave Brubeck Quartet) and I wish he'd do more solo albums.

So anyways, I go to the front info desk of the Electronic Music section and ask what's playing, he hands me the album "OM:Lounge Volume 10". The track in question was "Chopsticks" by J Boogie's Dubtronic Science (Weird name, huh?).

Without listening to the rest of the album, I played that one track over and over the whole night (When I get caught up in a track, I OD on it!).

I went to Amazon.com to look up some more from "J. Boogie" and found a couple other CD's to look for.

It's a cool feeling discovering new enjoyable music...expand your horizons, ya'll...
dive in to something you would never think of listening to, it just might blow your mind.

Oh, and by the way...that track that got me hooked on the 'Peas...was "Head Bobs", track 15.

PEACE!

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home