"Hip Hop Kara-A-OK"

Before I start, just wanna say I updated my MP3 List on the left, I've dropped all the William Orbit tunes, and added some Richard Ashcroft, some Ol' Skool by AMIL (Remember Her!?), some Episode 3 scores, that infamous french song sung in the beginning of the John Travolta movie "General's Daughter", AND since I just saw a rerun of the 1st episode of "That 70's Show"..."Hello, It's Me" by Todd Rundgren (That's the song the kids lip sync to during the credits, kinda catchy...I love discovering old music all over again...), okay now on with show...

So, it's 10 O'clock and I'm heading out. Yeah, I'm alone again, what I say, it's hard to find a partner in crime to paint the town red with! The Hip Hop Karaoke thing takes place every First Friday of the month at this place call Rothko...it's the latest craze. Baby Boomer and Gen-Xers (Who knew Gen X was ol' skool?, apparently there's "Generation Y and Z") can "Channel their Inner-Big Daddy Kane" as the posters and flyers claim. Just like regular karaoke, you get the words to the song, AND you even get your own Flavor-Flav-like Hype Man (Someone to back you up, in case you forget the words...). Songs range from classics like RUN-DMC's "King of Rock", or LL Cool J's "I'm Bad"...to Tupac and Biggie classics like "California Love" and "Juicy". They even have popular classics like Nas's "Hate me Now" and for the ladies out there, classics by Queen Latifah and MC Lyte.

First off, I have to say, you get what you pay for with the cover...the event is free and it should be because the place...is a hole in the wall. I have to admit, it was bigger than the lounge I was just in last week, but at least THAT place had areas where a brother stand and not be in the way. Here, it was pretty much standing room only which wasn't bad if you've been to a concert in the Hamerstein Ballroom (I saw moby there around October 1999), so long as I didn't have to worry about pickpockets, I was cool being in a crowd. I had missed a few perfomances that had started around 11pm and stayed till 3 in the morning. I saw around 13 people perform and they were great! It made me think I could go up there and drop a verse...(I always wanted to do a version of Fat Joe and Big Pun's "Twinz (Deep Cover'98)". I would have stayed longer, but I realized that my first TV Production Meetup was tomorrow afternoon and I needed to sleep.

I got back home at 4:30, read some emails and wondered what to do this weekend, the meetup is destined to be a bust this month, only 1 other RSVP to go and I approved over 10 members so far...

After bowing out of the screenwriter contest, I was more determined to get this show noticed again. I plan to resume writing (I haven't worked on anything since the contest...) and do some side projects. I got this crazy idea from threesome sex romp that turns real ugly when all three participants turn on each other.

With the free time I have now, I plan to really get the creative juices going...and as for the show tonight, I plan to find SOMEone to take next month!

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home