"The beginning...of the End."

Now that TV's behind me and the job is stablizing (or is it?), it's time to reveal something I don't want to come to terms with...

A couple of weeks ago, JOE went down To St. Augstine, Florida for a Job Interview...

Last Thursday (Day Before the Concert.) I had called him during my lunch break to ask how'd it go...

ME:"Sup' Dude, how's it's goin?"

JOE:"Heeeey, man, what's goin' on?"

ME:"I'm cool, man, just got started working in this german bank on Park Avenue..."

JOE:"Great man, they still stringing you around, huh?"

ME:"Yeah, yeah...SO, how'd it go in Florida that week?"

JOE:"Oh, great, man...I GOT the JOB."

(silence)...I had to let that sink in...

JOE:"I'm movin' June 19."

(silence becomes quieter, if that's possible...)

A lump the size of a baseball swells in my throat, and my eyes ACTUALLY start to WATER...

(30 of the longest seconds go by and I realize JOE's stopped talking...)

ME:(Forced Chuckle)"Tha-ha-ha-ha-t's GREAT man, congrats!"

Bile starts to build in my mouth as cough and laugh at the same time, I start to do one of those Hysterical laughs when tears come out of your eyes as a cover...

JOE:"Yeah, man I can't believe it, the whole family, going down there, the wife's putting house on the market, we'll be ready in no time....SO, um why don't we get together tomorrow and celebrate?"

ME:"Maaaaaan, I wish I could, but I got the concert at Radio City..."

JOE:"Oh yeah, ROOTS, I forgot you were goin' to that...I-ight then, catch up later?"

LES:"Sure, sure!" I wipe a tear from my eye and violently slam my fist into the table....

JOE:"Okay man, enjoy the concert...peace." (Hangs Up)

I sit there in a stunned silence, lips clinched in a haunting grimice...

You have no idea how hard it was to enjoy that concert with that news floating in my mind.

My BEST friend, My ONLY friend...is leaving...this time for good.

Even as I type this my hands are shaking.

Sure, I can always go down to visit, but...

I don't what am I gonna do when he leaves...it's the ultimate...

If it were actually possible..."The Lone Wolf" becomes EVEN MORE alone...

I'm at a loss...I'm already doing things by myself as it is (Movies, Concerts, etc...), but the thought of not playing any video games with...not going anywhere over the weekend when MY family are driving me crazy...

JOE was my only OUT...

It's like, Batman losing Robin...Green Hornet losing Kato...Kid Rock losing Joe C.

Puffy losing Biggie....

I can hear that voiceover at the end of the song "Victory" playing in my head...

"Aiyyo, can you hear me out there?
Aiyyo turn me up, nobody can hear me out there
That's good, it's all f**ked up now
Y'all know it's all f**ked up now right?
What the fu*k I'ma do now?
What I'ma do now?
Can y'all hear me out there?

Can y'all hear me out there?

(Fu*k y'all ni@@az wanna do)

It's all fuc*ed up now.. what I'ma do now, huh?
What I'ma do now? It's all fuc*ed up now..."

Word.

Comments

2 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Anocsanamun said…

    hunny - we are going to introduce you to a ton of good people. I promise... I will hook you up with a TON OF JOE's to hang with...
    And you have me...
    no worries

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Atta girl Anocsanamun! Keep his ass busy !

    Sorry your friend is moving.....my best friend moved away about 16 or so years ago. We see each other about every 3 years-it sucks and it's sad at times when you just want to hang out with your one true friend. I hope you meet some new people, but I totally understand-they're not or never will be Joe.

    I'm kind of bummed he didn't call you right away and tell you. Maybe if you go visit-maybe you'll enjoy yourself enough to move maybe? There's a world outside NYC...believe it or not. It's just the whole idea of change that freaks people out, don'tcha think?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home