"Whoa, Nelly!"

After doing some reseach about last night's concert, I finally found out who that Indian Chick was (not P.C. of me callin her indian I know...but ya'll catch my drift.).

Her name is J. Davey, and accorinding to Her Website a lot of people were taken in by her bizzare performance. And after hearing samples of other songs on the site, I can surely say so am I!

She has been compared to Prince mixed with a lil Erykah Badu by the way of Radiohead. Sorta like Electro-Funk-Soul...she has no offical CD out, but I plan to get whatever I can find out there and load my mp3 player with it. (Hmmmm, I wonder if Fire's Digital Eargasm has anything by her...)

In other news...

Saw SNL for the first time in a long time (The show is really falling off these days...) with Kevin Spacey as Host (Early plugging for "Superman" I guess, Didja see the new trailer with some of his scenes as Lex Luthor?), I really tuned in to see musical guest Nelly Furtado. I hear she's making a comeback (Not that she was every really gone long...). Rumors had her album dropping around now, but it's been pushed to June with this hot new single getting popular...

Come a lil after midnight she get's introduced with guest producer Timberland (Trying to rap again...) and perform "Promiscuous". The song is catchy in a "make-ya-dance" kinda way, but it was nothing I've seen her do before. Watching her dance and everything, it made me think of Fergie in the "My Humps" video...then later she comes back and perfomes a song called "Maneater" and it hit's me, this is NOT my Nelly Furtado!

What happened to the folksy crooning "I'm Like a Bird"?!!...or the hip-hop B-boy Tomgirl singing "Turn out the Light"?...It's like she's turning into a Britney Spears/Kelly Clarkson/Lindsey Lohan clone. Well sometimes artists re-invent themselves for more public acceptance, or maybe I'm jumping the gun, here.

Music has been so weird lately, I have yet to offically buy a CD yet. I've downloaded new albums by...

Rhianna
Pearl Jam
Christina Milian
Pink
DMX
Tangerine Dream
Fatboy Slim
and Busta Rhymes

and I haven't even listened to any of it yet.

Old music seems to be grabbing me more...I keep playing Todd Rundgen's "Hello It's Me" since the "That 70's Show" Finale. That is such a nice song, sometimes I think I grew up in the wrong decade...Ya'll old people had it nice.

You know, I think I would almost be brave enough to do that song in Karaoke.

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Firestarter5 said…

    Re: Nelly Furtado. When your competition is the likes of Britney, Christina, Avril, Jessica, Pink and anything else that's young with boobs, you either fight fire with fire or get out of the kitchen. If anything, the Rap scene should have made you aware of this.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    I saw the new Nelly Furtado video. I thought it was Fergie at first too. But I've always liked her. Heard she took time off to be a mom. She has a 2 yr old now or somethin.

    The music I listen to now is all over the place. It's wierd. I've been listening to country somedays, [ack!] then it's R&B/Hip Hop when my son is in the car-and I gotta say-I like it. Weird how music influences things huh?

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Les said…

    Wow, new mom, huh? cool...C'mon fire, there's still room for originality and the out there...but hey, If she blows up with this new look, I won't be mad at her...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home