"Old Habits Die Hard."

It's been a typical hollywood mariage (two months) since I've last worked and things are starting to get TIGHT around here (well for me, anyway, mom's living the life like a Cash-Money Rapper with a new Advance check!). So me being the thinking type, it was time for me to do what I've done in the past when funds were low...sell stuff!

This case in point, MY MASSIVE COMICS COLLECTION!

8 years ago I made around 300 dollars selling my non-essential comics on ebay. Mostly Disney Comics, Roger Rabbit, Rescue Rangers, C.O.P.S., New Warriors, Deadpool (Man, I miss his comics, Deadpool was the man!).

I basically did it for the space, I had around 12 SOLID boxes of stuff I collected from the 90's.

I'm still holding PRIMO stuff for later that's gonna make me THOUSANDS! (Can you say Transformers #1??? I have 3 of those, and think how much they're be worth when the movie come out next year...Ch-CHING!)

I got tons of X-MEN titles, X-MEN, X-FORCE, etc, some early IMAGE Comics stuff like Youngblood, WILD C.A.T.s, Shadowhawk, and of course, SPAWN...I have "The Death of Superman" issues and when he came back, the Batman "Knightfall" storyline when Bane breaks his Back, I even have the "Carnage" and "Cosmic Spider-Man" issues of the ol' Web Head (That cosmic one was ridiculous, they gave him TOO much power then.) I also have my treasured "DEEP SPACE 9" comics as well as various Movie Adaptions comics.

The 12 boxes have dwindled down to 8, with a secret "Stash" box of my most Valuables, so, I figured I'd try to unload some the X-Men's, at least my 3rd set (I brought 2 or 3 of the same book back in the day so I have doubles.). I have so many I could start a store of my own or wallpaper my whole room with them (That actually would be kinda too geeky...).

There was a time, I'd take one box on a dolly and go around town with a list to all the comic book stores, but eBay makes things easier.

BUT...ebay scares me.

You see, once you start selling stuff on ebay, you get this dumb idea to BUY shit on ebay...all the time!.

No joke, I was addicted to ebay like uncooked crack! They very first thing I won was a Green Nintendo 64 Controller for 5.00. Next thing you know, I was buying games, then I started to buy books, then CD's, DVD's, Computer Stuff, Clothes! My first Laptop was an IBM 760XL Thinkpad, I won it for 350.00 I think. I had the damn thing shipped to my JOB rather at home and then the Towers went down. My package was STUCK at a UPS center on 23rd street and 10th Avenue for 2 weeks and I couldn't get it because the area was closed off. I brought crazy stuff, I brought advance copies of books just so I could be the first person to read em!...I brought a GOLD plated GAME BOY LIGHT, not a Game Boy Color, Advance or a SP, a rare Black & White (Well, Black and Grey) Nintendo GAME BOY with a back-lit screen like a cell phone that was never released in the USA, it only played the orginal games, not even the color or those small SP carts. I brought my Digital Camera on ebay, one of the early sony discman's with the remote (Now almost all CD Players have remote-ear plugs), I went nuts.

Eventually I went cold turkey and discovered Craigslist (Which is 100% Better than eBay!) and I've been able to keep control of my impulses. But going back to ebay...it scares me man...

Selling comics is also tricky, there's still not a mass market for them, yet. I almost wish they go out of print or move on to a different type of media (Comic CDRoms?, Comic Podcasts?, maybe) that way people would appricate their value more.

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Ladyred said…

    O i can SOOO Relate to the ebay thing! i sell books mostly. but now i am getting into the selling of shit i just don't need/use/want/have to have/takes up space. i just have to photograph all the shit and put it up. so time consuming. but then when i get a coupla hundred in the account, i go hunting, and that's not good. hell the idea is to GET money since i don't HAVE money LOL. but then i see a good deal. and like a dork i get it. one thing i did buy was my film pro camera, retails for about $1000 and i got it for $350. at first i was freaking because i was like "what if it doesn't work and shit?" but it turned out great and i love it. last thing i bought was a lens for my camera. i actually needed that. especially since i'm using a high dollar camera that had a plastic lens on it and got an ass chewing from my digi photo teacher. he was right though. it's like putting a a a cheap something on a mercedes LOL

    i would hate to have to sell any of my photo stuff and would ask someone for money before i did that anyway LOL. nothing i have is really of any value anyway. any technologicaly stuff i have gets outdated when i buy it so *shrugs* i use what i have and wait for the time i'll have me a sugar daddy. ok i wonm't wait cause i know that ain't happenenin LOL

    i havent' looked at craigs list yet..i gues i should

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger Firestarter5 said…

    I still have my whack of comic books...even the Micronauts or whatever the hell they were called.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    eBay is good but bad too.

    a friend of mine all she does is buy at close out stores and resell on eBay and that's how she does it. i on the other hand shop eBay and swear it will be the death of me one day.

    good luck Jet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home