"MOBY MADNESS at Central Park"

Well, it's here! ULTRA NY...8 DJ's 2 Tents, LOTS of crazy, jumping, dancing white people...

My feet were killing me from work so I was in NO mood stomping around Central Park trying to FIND this damn concert. The damn park is like "The Island" on LOST walking around seeing crazy shit everywhere. I saw a trio in weird outfits looking like they were going to do some Pagan Ritual or something. I mean, the concert should have been easy to find, just follow the damn music! I'm sure they were warming up by now...

The concert was to start 4:30 at the Rumsey Field, where they usually do the concert series SUMMERSTAGE... I finally found it and the hi-tech security zipped my ticket and I was searched (Probably cuz I was BLACK!, jus kiddin!), I had a roll of Sweet Tarts they though was a gun or something but I was let in.

A couple of years back, I had seen The Roots at SUMMERSTAGE, it was a General Admission affair...but they had seats!...THIS time, I wasn't so lucky. Standing room ONLY, SHIT! AT least it wasn't raining, they were talking about rain over the weekend...maybe sunday.

It's mad early so no one's really there, the sound station on stage is playing some techno, but it was nothing special (Guess I'm just impartial to MOBY and a few others...). I walked around and found a nice corner to sit on and enjoy the scene...they had some foamy astro-turf for a sorta WOODSTOCK grass setting. There were booths and stands offering beer and Red Bull, but no damn food. Good thing I had my Sweet Tarts.

Now, this concert event is straight DJ-ing. I wasn't really expecting MOBY to perform his songs, I was expecting him to work the "Wheels of Steel", so the turn out was VERY, VERY, VERY weird. I overheard so many crazy conversations I submitted some to that website "Overheard in New York" (I hope I make it!). After bouts of siting cross-legged and other various positions, I decided to give up my cushy corner to walk around and get the blood circulating again. I found the performance schedule...MOBY was second to OAKENFOLD with a 45 minute set from 7:55pm to 8:40pm...I thought "I paid 40 bucks just to heard this guy DJ for 45 MINUTES?!?!?!, ah well..."

I browsed the booths, they had some Dance CD's for 10 dollars but nothing with MOBY, a few T-Shirts and Caps, nothing I was interested in. I wanted SOMEthing to remember the occassion, so I settled for at 5.00 keychain, yeah you read right 5 freakin' dollars for a damn key chain!.

At 6pm the warmup acts started. A DJ started the set with cool sound bytes from "The Matrix"... "If you take the Blue Pill..." that sort of stuff mixed it with hardcore trance, the crowd ate it up and the place turned into the craziest outdoor nightclub in manhattan. As it started to get dark, strobes and lasers lit the sky, people had neon wristbands and jump rope with glow in the dark handles...twirling them around, making circles in the air...

After finding a nice place to sit in the distance, I finally made my way back to the crowd when I heard "Beautiful" remixed it...MOBY had hit the stage...

His set had all the classics blended in, PORCELAIN, GO, some unique stuff he jus mixed in on his own, he ended the masterpiece with his showstopper...the fastest song in the world, THOUSAND. I couldn't help but smile, he ALWAYS ends his concerts standing on top of his Turntable and DAT (Equipment) as the song plays. The infamous song containing 1000 BPM has been often used while having sex, because if you could actually KEEP up with the songs supersonic rhythm, it would lead up to the orgasm of a lifetime!

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't stay for the rest of the acts, there was talk of an Afterparty at the Crowbar, but MOBY wasn't going to be there so neither would I. I made it out the maze of central park to the East side and took a bus home. I there at 10pm and entered to a unpleasant surprise...Some distant cousins from North Carolina had drove up to attend some sorta family gathering and had to stay with us!

Damn, I should stayed out there in the park with my aching feet and all the crazy people dancing to the music!

Comments

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never heard this "Thousand" song before. Is that the actual name to the song?

    One more thing, when entering comments and then signing your name, choose the OTHER button and enter your name and blogsite address, that will let your name show up.

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger Les said…

    Yes, that's the name, it's in Guinness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home