"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

Dude, I have been on a Journey!

I did this interview for the dreaded Enrollment Associate position at Hudson Health Plan up in Tarrytown, and let me tell ya...for an hour bus ride, I went FAR!

I had never seen so many little towns in between each other...

After going through the familiar neighborhood of Getty Square in Yonkers, I traveled to Hastings-on-Hudson (Which naturally is along side the Hudson River further upstate...), then on Thru Dobbs Ferry, then across to Ardsley...these 3 little towns are like something out of colonial times, antique, yet modern. You can see it in the architecture, the homes are so different. Each place had a quaint little town sign with the name and estimated population. I half expected to see a sign that said "Welcome to Silent Hill" next!

After Ardsley, I moved into Irvington (Which I thought was only a reaaaal, messed up ghetto city in New Jersey, but apparently not...) and just when I though I was lost, the bus arrived at Tarrytown. Once again, the Hudson was along side as I counted house numbers along South Broadway...

I finally got off at a stop or two before my destination and checked my watch, it was 1:10, I had a lot of time to explore and assess the neighborhood. First, I found my destination... The building stood out compared to all the other ones due to it's unique checkerboard exterior. There was a huge parking lot up front and the entrance was located below the main floor with sub-basement like public space with benches and a fountain.

"Hmmm, betcha this place is nice during the summer..." I wondered aloud.

After the building I went back out to find nearby Bus Stops for going back. I notice there was a break in the two bus lines that come up here.

The "1W" comes up South Broadway, but then breaks RIGHT on White Plains Road (Which is a couple of blocks away from where Hudson Health is...) to go further west, while the "1T" (T - for Tarrytown) stays on South Broadway to my building (A stop right in front, thank goodness) and then makes it way to the last stop at the Tarrytown Metro-North train station (Which I thought would be a Hop, Skip and a Jump away, but obviously ISN'T!!!)

If I had taken that "1W" there's a good chance I would have missed the building at that turn and gotten lost. Good thing my instincts and sense of direction know better...

Now, that I knew the bus lines and their stops, I check their posted schedules...

Which were scattered at most.

I either get up here REAL early, like 8:10am with the "1W" or BARELY on time with the "1T" getting up here by 8:53am...what kind of schedule is that?!?!? There's no in-between?!?!

Going back to the city's no picnic, either.

There's a 5:03pm "1W" that I could NEVER get because of the walk to White Plains Road...and a 5:15 "1T", along with a 6pm "1T"...geez, I was starting to think if it was worth the adventure.

I looked around the area...it was SO...Country! This didn't even look like New York, it looked like Virginia, or Ohio...as a black person walking up and down the street I felt guilty as hell...almost convincing myself "I'd of done stol' somethin from up here!"

"I guess that's why they call it WHITE Plains..." I joked.

The Tappan Zee Bridge was right next to the area, I'm not sure, but I think that's the way thru Jersey to Connecticut...

Let's face it, I wasn't in Manhattan anymore...This was Really OUT here...

1:30pm rolled by and I was ready to head on in...

The building had no security desk (Which was surprising...), just a directory with the businesses that operated there. I found my office and checked in at 1:45 for my 2pm appointment, nice and early.

Since I was emailed an application, I didn't have to do a lot of enduring paperwork like that TEMP agency I signed up with Tuesday.

The Human Resource contact came out to greet me and I thanked her for rescheduling...

She asked me about the trip up here, and we then started the interview.

I think things went okay, she asked all those annoying questions I always have troubling answering...

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Why did you leave Baruch?
What is your Dream Job?
If you like working at night why take this 9-5 Position?
What do you want in a Supervisor?

She then explained how they operate and manage their Health Plan Applications and the workflow, which was completly different from what I was used to with HealthFirst and Community Choice. If hired I'd go through a training program of Health and Facilitated Enrollment Procedures and be tested (I would have to PASS to stay employed with them of course), then I would have to learn their database with another line of training, and if I make the grade, I'm in.

Ironically she mentioned they had two positions that might fit me, Enrollment Associate and Enrollment Auditor, and auditor would be the one double checking applications ready to be sent to the state, to make sure there are no mistakes.

I was told that a decision would take some time, they have a bunch of more applicants to interview, then I was informed of their benefits...then came the big issue...

The Salary.

Now, I kept thinking about how to get here, to catch that 8:10 "1W", I'd have to be on the 1 train going up to 242nd Street by at least 6:30 (to catch the bus by 7:10am, takes an hour, remember...) which means I'd have to wake up by at least 5:30-5:45am (Pretty damn early!) OR live on the Jagged Edge of Disaster and deal with the 8:53 arriving "1T" which would have me on the train at around 7:15-7:20 and catching the 7:50am bus. But you figure, traffic, weather, crazy bullshit with riders, you never know WHAT will happen and that small window will have me getting there on time by the skin of my teeth...

So I'm weighing in the change of working days, dealing with school kids, waking up early and all the headaches and I try to come with a round number that would make it worth it...

She says the starting rate is 26,000...but the mid-range with someone with my experience would be...

"32,600 Dollars."

My Eyes lit up with dollars signs Instantly...

YOUZA!

If the job was as cool as she described, with no stress elements from Punk Ass Marketing Reps, or cutthoat co-workers trying to climb the corporate ladder...

My God...

I've worked since I was 15 years old, NEVER have I made close or over 30,000 a year.

I kept my composure and asked a few questions of my own and we concluded the interview by 2:45. I think I gave a Good Impression, but who knows, they may find the next person more impressive.

I keep telling myself that I didn't even really WANT this position...

But 32k? I'd have zero balences on all my credit cards in 3 months! Enough to move out again in 6! A freaking Playstaion 3, trips to Jacksonville and anywhere else, a nice way to spoil my future girlfriend whoever she may be...or maybe I'll jus stick to tappin some anonymous-ass every now and then from criagislist...

Hell, maybe after 2 years, I'd move upstate around there myself, and never look back to the city again...

wow.

OOOOOh, But I DON'T WANT this JOB! I'm so good at it, but damn! I wanna keep this job, working for the Bank...working nights, having friday's off. But let's face it, the rate I'm going, I'll never move out again with that job.

I wish I could go to school, get A+ Certified and become an IT Consultant. If only this job was more secure...

Well, they may call me, the temp agency may call with some scanning positions, IPS may call me back to go down to Miami again, OR this Library Job can finally come thru...

Whatever happens, I'm taking a break till I actually get laid off in March. Lining up these two visits in the last 48 hours has left me with little or NO sleep!

PeaCe!

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    This is your year Jet. No doubt about it.

    Good luck to ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home