"Kisses in the Rain"

The small white envelope was burning a hole in my pants pocket. It's earth shattering news neatly printed on a single sheet form letter with my name affixed on it.

I left the job at 3:30am, arriving home by a little after 5am.

"Leeloo" wasn't online when I logged into Instant Messenger so I decided to crack up my PC Speakers and take a quick nap while leaving it on.

At 6:31am I was awaken by a chirp. A "Kiss" Smiley greeted me and I arose and turned to the screen.

We said our good-mornings and I revealed no disappointment given to me by the previous events only hours ago. I had to put that aside for now, as the Envelope laid at the foot of the bed in front of me, still unopened.

We confirmed the 10am Breakfast Date at the Crown Donut Diner on the corner of Gerard Avenue near Yankee Stadium, a mere block away from where I used to live two years ago when this very blog was created. I had picked that diner because it appeared to open all hours the day and night (I think). There had been late nights when I'd be wandering home and I'd see it, open, empty, and still operating. I guess for Truckers going by, or anyone working the graveyard shift. It reminded me of a scene in the movie "Monster's Ball". Billy Bob Thornton played a prison guard who would always go to a diner after his shift and order chocolate ice cream. Every night, like clockwork. It made me wanna try that, jus once like around 3am during the summer, wearing my slippers.

Back to the morning, "Leeloo" and I made more kissy-chat for awhile then I told her I wanted to get a lil more rest (Didn't wanna be a zombie in front of her...) so we signed off for the last time before meeting each other at 7am and I went back to sleep for an hour...with the Envelope still at the foot of my bed.

I work up at 8, took a shower and picked out my clothes. I was going with my Johnny Cash look, black slacks, black suede shirt (To keep me warm), with my new shiny black boots. I had a good feeling about today (Despite the Envelope) because I had finally caught up with my elusive barber, Jalu who gave me a nice low cesar and a smooth shave thursday morning. 9am was rolling by, I emptied the junk in my coat pockets and packed 2 special items along with my chapstick and binaca.

At a lil after 9am I was finally out the door. The Bx13 would take me to Yankee Stadium in less than a half hour. By the time I was on board, I had realized ONE FOOLISH THING...I had left my Cell Phone Charging on the bed...right next to The Envelope.

I cursed myself as I made my way across to the Bronx. I was hoping things would go smoothly...that I wouldn't miss an important phone call that could be job related.

I arrived at my old neighborhood at 9:45. I went to a newsstand and brought a pack of Wintergreen Orbit gum and browsed around for a flower shop. Everything was teddy-bears and bouquets, and cheap plastic or glass single roses, no original authentic, single stem roses to be found. "So much for the die-hard romantic", I thought, shoulda picked one up in my neighborhood.

I accepted my fate and made my way to the diner. We agreed on 10am in hopes to avoiding the rush hour crowd, especially with the courthouse nearby. I stepped in to see if SOMEhow "Leeloo" arrived before me. The place was still busy like Grand Central Station with slow moving senior citizens clogging up the main walkway aisle. I shuffled my way to the back area and scanned around. With no sign of "Leeloo" I made my way out again.

The weather really cooperated with us despite the threat of a wet-snow-hail storm since 1am last night according to Mom and the News (Can't ANYONE get this crazy-ass weather down to a tee?), I had my jacket open and my "Morpheus" sunglasses on, looking like the coolest bad-ass this side of the Major Deegan Expressway. My mind wandered to the Envelope for the moment and a wave of sadness and worry came over me for a moment. That moment turned to minutes and suddenly I found myself waiting AFTER 10am.

"Wouldn't be the first time a date of mine came Late..." whispered to no one in particular. I thought about my cell phone, lying there next to the Envelope, and thought..."if she was running late, she'd call or text me, DAMN!" I went to a nearby phone booth to check my voicemail. I couldn't believe my luck, thou, because the minute my greeting came on the pay phone, some idiot construction worker stated jack-hammering the concrete a couple of feet away from me and I couldn't hear a thing! After losing my quarter, I hung up and waited some more...

I went inside one more time and the place was finally emptying out, maybe it was a good thing she was late after all. Finally, at around 10:40...she emerged walking uphill towards me. The short, petite image I had seen in may photographs finally before my eyes. I captured the moment like a Norman Rockwell painting...other faceless passer-byers walking a sidewalk with her at the center. Illuminating, angelic, and hauntingly beautiful, in true ghetto New Yorker style.

She had a leather jacket with a blue sweater underneath over a white blouse. Her long, curly hair tied in a Laura Croft-style single indian braid similar to Angelina Jolie in that "Tomb Raider" movie. A backwards yankee cap to keep her head warm followed by some acid-wash jeans complementing her shapely thighs and plump...well ya'll get the picture... Her face milky white and a unique chinky-like light brown eyes, with a small pouty smile she was the ultimate Puerto-Rican New York "Shorty". The type that could carry herself with the fellas, shoot pool, sit around in the park and break down this thing we call "life" with, and the first thing she says to me...

"Where is your phone?, what do you have a phone for?"

I apologize with smile as she checks me out and I lead her in the diner.

The first thing that surprised me about her was she immediately opened up with me and started TALKING! This from someone I had to pull teeth from during some IM Chats. I was almost afraid neither of us would be able to talk, we'd sit there and eat quietly with dozens of "Uncomfortable Silences", NOT this woman!

She instantly just started telling me her whole entire life story and I absorbed it like a sponge. I was so into her and she could tell. She liked how I gave her attention and listened to every syllable out of her mouth. We ordered breakfast, I had pancakes, she had french toast with eggs.

I wish I could relay what an INTERESTING woman and life she has had, but out of respect for her, can't reveal too much. She's served for the military as an Registered Nurse for over 10 years, she's been ALL around the world. She's currently on disability due to her health condition, she has COPD, which stands for "Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease" a form of asthma, bronchitis AND emphysema which restrict air-flow to the lungs. She has survived various other medical conditions and has a strong will. She's been through a LOT, been thru HELL and back.

We basically played the day by ear, she had an errand to do so I tagged along, we talked on the bus going further up in The Bronx thru the Grand Concourse. She couldn't help staring at my Rabbit Birthmark, she found it so fascinating. We got off at Fordham Road and after her personal business, we found a park and sat and talked. I could help playing that Hip Hop song from Dem Franchize Boyz "Oh I think they Like Me..." in my head as it appeared we were really hitting it off. I talked about Mom, and Sis and Baby Girl, and she cleared some things up about her that once bugged me...

First, while she's dedicated to her sons on the weekend, there are still chances to see each other on an occasional saturday. She's not as tied down as I thought she was. It's all in the planning.

and TWO, while Yes, she DID experiment with ONE woman occasionally (the one in the picture...), sadly that close friend of hers has passed on, and the pictures she took were from awhile ago. SO, while I was considering changing her nickname to "Theo" or "Theodora" (A bi-sexual character played by Catherine Zeta-Jones in the movie "The Haunting"), NOW that's not the case, she's still "Perfect".

It was then I decided to give her surprise #1 hidden in my jacket, a DVD of the movie "Cruel Intentions". We had discussed this movie a lot and she had never seen it so I decided to lend it to her and give her a chance. (Plus it guarantees a SECOND date to get it back, *Wink*). She smile and put the DVD away. Then I revealed my second surprise...I brought my Digital Camera...

She became camera shy all of the sudden, saying it was too cold and she didn't look nice, etc, etc...I then offered that she could take some of me or maybe a few together (By somehow proping up the camera somewhere...)...she wanted to bring her cell phone with a camera, but alas we decided picture time could wait...

The cold was finally starting to get us at around 2pm so we decided to browse and window shop to get warm. We went to a Nine West shoe store, and a V.I.M, making our way back to Fordham Road, down near SEARS. We decided to hit McDonald's and really warm-up, we talked some more and I mentioned an idea for our second date (Details Pending...don't wanna jinx it by talking too early!), she touched my hand said she'd be available. I started seeing imaginary fireworks when I felt her touch, weird shapes, blinking in front of me. I couldn't help but smile...

It was around five, now...the kids were out from school and people were starting leave for home, part of me was starting to feel it after being awake 18 outta the last 24 hours. And finally, as if on cue, the ill-fated "storm" finally arrived. We left McDonald's to a mixture of Sleet and Snow among the streets. "Leeloo" locked her arm in mine and we decided I'd walk her to her Bx17 Bus Stop that would take her straight home. The sleet started to turn to heavy rain as we prepared to part ways, neither of us had an umbrella, but she had a little hood to keep her hair dry. We took one last look at each other, talked about next time...

I took a moment to caress her cheek with my soft hand, and reminded her of the movie and to IM me the minute she got home...then leaned down and she have me a small quick peck on the lips...and suddenly a certain jazz song called "Kisses in the Rain" by trumpeter Rick Brawn popped in my head. She turned and boarded the bus and I watched it pull away...

Once it was gone, I turned and took the BX12 to University Avenue and then the BX3 home...

My trip took longer than hers (She was home by 6:30, while I didn't get in till 7pm), but we caught each other and shared funny emails and more pics of the fam. She showed me pictures of her 2 boys, I showed her the christmas picture and a pic of the two cats. We asked each other what we though of each other and we're pretty much feelin' each other...

Before we signed off, she asked me to check her profile on the webcam site that we met thru (I'm not revealing it until I cancel my subscription and know my profile's been removed!) and I did and noticed she took down her risque pictures of herself (REAL freaky pics!)

"Did you do that...(voice squeaks) for me?" I typed...VERY moved.

and she said "Yes"...I swear to you...I wanted to cry like a lil BI-ATCH!!!! That meant a lot to me...it's the lil gestures, ya know? I'm such a Sentimental Bastard...

I showed my gratitude and promised her I'd do something to match the gesture...(I don't have any freaky pics on my profile, not even my butt!) maybe I'll stop showing off my buns on cam...MAYBE (hey, it's only been ONE date!).

We said our good-byes and she logged off.

I could still taste that quick kiss on my lips...

I sat up on my bed replaying the whole day in my head, dedicating much brain power to remember various tidbits about "Leeloo"...

She's Allergic to Pickles

Her Boys are 12 and 14

She's an Aries, Birthday April 12th.

She likes Champion Sneakers

Her Rank is First Lieutenant

She has a Dog named Apollo in Korea

She likes Ben & Jerry's Rocky Road Ice Cream

The type of stuff men dedicate their memory to Sport Stats and Car Models, I'm assigning to her.

It's been so long since I felt this way...

I sat on my bed frozen in thought for 2 hours...it would be another 3 before I opened the Envelope.

Comments

4 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Christ I'm on the edge of my seat here.

    Glad to hear your date went well. I hope they'll be MANY more in the near future.

    Who gave you the envelope?

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger ac said…

    Jet... What's in that envelope?!

    You. Are. Killing. Me.

    Great date. Good for you! ac

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Les said…

    It's called "Building Suspense"...the answer is coming soon!

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger ac said…

    Build this! ac

     

Post a Comment

<< Home