"...Know when to Walk Away, Know when to Run..."

Today was my last day at my old job. Back in September, I was so happy, following in JOE's footsteps, working in a bank again, I was thinking This Was IT! But unknown to me, the Merger was looming and it was only a matter of time...

Before going in, the morning earlier I called Human Resources and made an appointment for my Exit Interview. Friday Morning, March 30th, 10:30am. After a few questions and paperwork, I'd turn over my ID and that would be it, the end of an era.

I gently leaked the news to everyone I'd worked with and considered a "Friend" in one form or the other. The night started slow at first, but then 2am came and that last hour, it was all downhill like a rollercoaster ride. I received praises and well-wishes from all the co-workers, then made my exit at 3am...

For 6 months I walked the night through the empty streets of New York. I never got mugged, or shot or stabbed or had my face slashed. I encountered a few crazies but nothing happened from it. I made it safely home every night and now MOM can breath easier because she doesn't have to worry about me anymore.

Coming out of the station uptown, I saw this guy on the corner. Considering this was my last night after seeing bums begging for change EVERYWHERE I went, I actually felt generous this one final occasion. I dug into my pocket and fingered some loose change as he caught my attention...

"Good Morning." He said.

"Good Morning." I answered, still walking in stride.

"Could I Please Trouble You for..." He started.

Here we go, maybe I should give him a dollar for the hellua it...

"...A Cigarette?" he finished.

WHAT?, he could of asked for anything, A Sandwich, Some Change, A Dollar, anything to eat and I was ready to oblige him and he asks me for a DAMN Cigarette?!?!

"Sorry, man...I don't Smoke" I answered with a shrug and kept on walking.

Boy did he miss his chance, the idiot.

I made it home at a little after 4am, hung up my coat and went to the fridge.

My cousin PAT had picked up MOM after work and there some Red Lobster garlic biscuits in a doggy bag waiting for me, but I passed. Dug out my pint of Snickers Ice Cream for an early morning celebration.

Six months...Night instead of Day, cheating death...I did it, and it was cool.

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home