"Aw Man, The Doobie Brothers broke up!, When the hell did that happen?...Sheeiit"

I mentioned Lyricspy.com helping find this old Rap Song I had in my head for around 8 years, I really wanted to buy it rather than download, support the industry a lil for the underground non-mainstream artists.

I go on these Indiana Jones-like searches every so often. There a so many music stores in the city, only a few you can depend on to find obscure, forgotten music.

In my hey-day, the solution was simple...Tower Records in Lincoln Center, and if you were desperate, the last hope would be the other Tower Records in the Village.

However, one was lost...Lincoln Center closed sometime last year so I had to depend upon, The Virgin Megastore in Times Square.

Heading down to midtown jus to buy a CD may sound crazy to some, but what the hell, anything to get outta the house, right?

I took the 1 train and emerged in the heart of an over-crowded tourist attraction. There were sailors among the sidewalks for "Fleet Week".

I made my way inside and looked in the Hip Hop section for the album in question...

No dice.

Something told me this wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but a journey all thought the Lower East Side...

The streets were getting to me, so I cut across 44th street to 6th Avenue and thought of checking the FYE near Radio City.

I went in, nothing...strike 2, and then left the store.

It was time to head over to East 8th Street and check with the last Tower Records in the city, it was my only hope.

I took the D train from 48th Street to West 4th and walked across Washington Square Park and past the NYU Campus. Once on Broadway, I started heading down past all the weird-name streets (Heh, they have a BOND Street, cool...) as I slowly approached, I couldn't believe my eyes...

The second Tower Records store, a Village Landmark, known for Madonna's Very First in-store appearance in 2003...was also gone.

Damn, one I could see, but both?!...SHIT!

Okay, true, they were still charging 19.00 for a newly released CD that you could get for 12-14 dollars at Best Buy or even Barnes and Noble, but Tower was a resource...even Vinyl was still sold there for DJ's.

Damn, they musta went outta business, such a shame.

It's like going over to paris and not finding the Eiffel Tower...

I had to find this damn CD!

I decided to walk further south towards Houston Street to a new Best Buy that's been down there for almost 2 years.

I was grasping at straws, now...still came up empty.

"Damn, maybe I better try downloading it..." I thought.

I retraced back north when I thought of Union Square...and the OTHER Virgin Megastore!

This was it, I was calling a day if it wasn't here...

...and it wasn't.

So the trip wasn't a total loss, I browsed around and few a few CD's of some other stuff I heard from those radio sites.

I was defeated, but this wasn't the end.

I'd find that album, somehow...someway...

...someday!

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    What the hell is the CD you're lookin' for anyways??? I'll look for it here. We have this old record store that has all the good stuff. Let me know, I'll check it out for ya.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home