"Finally!"

I think I have found the Promise Land.

I arrived yesterday at my new job in midtown at 3:30pm, still early (No one shows up till 4pm) so I waited in the reception area. After 10 minutes an Asian woman asked me if it was my first day and was I here for scanning and I said yes. Her name was MABEL and we started talking about the company.

Like most of the other places I've been, theirs is a 3 Shift Operation. People also work weekends, so they get 2 days off during the week.

I immediately asked how many machines and people they have for my shift, to see if there was an abundance of scanners like JPMORGANCHASE.

4pm came and a woman appeared and said "You can bring him in, MABEL" and we entered the back office...

Like I said during my interview last week, the hallways are lined with boxes and paper reams everywhere!

Once I entered the room, I sighed a sigh of relief.

The room was nice and open (No rubbing elbows like in CHASE!) with an outline of tables surrounding two long line of boxes in the middle. On the tables, side by side (with enough space) were 1 of 2 different types of scanners. They had the normal "Fast Feeding" Fujitsu I was used to using at IPS, and they had Photocopier-Like Flatbed Scanners that came in handy when scanning books.

The Supervisor (Who I finally met!) called out the names of everyone in the room (around 7 or 8 tops!) and assigned their duties. Some QC'd some scanned, me and another new person were to train with someone else to get the hang of things.

I was paired up with a young lady who reminded me of someone from HealthFirst. Her name was Dominique. She showed me how to use the Flatbed Machine and scan using IPRO Scan Premium software. The infamous IPRO, now I can finally add that to my experience...

Dominique filled me in on the rest of the way of things here...

They get an hour for lunch (Damn, how am I gonna kill all that time!) so we get paid for 35 hours a week instead of 40 (That sucks), if we do overtime, you don't get time and a half till your over 40 (Makes sense, but also sucks). If you do 500 hours with the temp agency they may or may not hire you on perm...

With everyone have 2 days off, it looks like I'll never stand out here. MABEL said she's been with the company for 2 years, so they'll always have work.

It's just like DeBari Associates in the Village way back when...

The dress code wasn't a big issue as I feared it would be, they seem to be very laid back about everything.

The thing they only seem to stress it image quality over quantity. People are scanning FOLDERS not even entire BOXES, just folders.

The Flatbed is not really the fastest of scanners either, it can only take small batches of documents as opposed to the other Fujitsu, drumming up hundreds of pages in seconds.

The whole 7 hour shift we scanned around 800 pages, although we DID have a few books that had to be scanned one page at a time, that slowed us down a bit.

But like I said, they don't seem to CARE about numbers, JUST images. Anything skewed or crooked, anything with a line, anything faded or too dark that something can't be read...is a SERIOUS ding.

I was always a speed demon, I figured if QC can catch and clean everything, what harm could it do?

Well, I guess I need to check that attitude and turn on my fine tuned EYE.

Tomorrow will be the real test, to see if I can fly solo (at last!) if they like my work, I think I just have found a place to get comfortable...at least till I see that first measly check!

Labels:

Comments

3 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger ac said…

    Good luck jet. I hope you have found yourself a home. ac

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Sounds like it will all be cool.

    Good luck to ya Jet. I hope you find it to be a comfortable place to hang your hat.

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger Summer said…

    I'm hoping that you'll find some happiness there. Sounds good so far!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home