"Reading, Writing, A Duhhhhhh..."

I went to register at this temp agency this morning. My appointment was for 10, I was there by 9:30, and the place was packed!

"Shit," I thought, "Another Whale Hunt..."

I stayed thinking positive, thou and did the paperwork...

I kept hearing the secretary handle calls, all the counselors were at a meeting, there was no one to talk to at the moment as we waited. After the paperwork and a 10 minute wait I got called into the computer lab for testing. I rolled my eyes as they set me up for a Numeric 10-Key test, a typing test, and software tests for Word & Excel.

I scored 8414 on the 10-Key, and typed 41 Words per Minute, which I guess is not bad. Aced the Word and did Well on Excel (I have trouble with WORD Mail Merges and Making Graphs in Excel).

I waited for almost an hour before "The Meeting" finally concluded and people started pouring out and calling names...almost a half hour AFTER THAT, I was finally called.

After a few questions, "Mark" picked up the phone and asked about a scanning job with the Department of Corrections, but it was just filled, then he mentioned a position located one floor down in the very building we were in.

It was Scanning Legal documents for a firm, it's temp-to-perm, started at 10 bucks an hour and with occasional weekends, the hours were...from 4pm to Midnight.

My eyes lit up like Christmas Lights!

I had to take, yet another test and then be interviewed, he asked me to stay close to my phone cuz they could call me back downtown the same day depending on my test score.

So after come copies of my ID's and a few more forms to sign, he gives me the test and then says I can leave after I finish. I go back to the waiting area and sit down...

Since I would be dealing with lawyers or legal stuff, they wanted to know if I knew how to file, alphabetize and knew my words.

So one part was like "Pick the word that fills the blank"

1. He played the music ______ loud.

and the choices were ( ) too & ( ) two

Child's Play...some were tricky thou...

Then a Filing Test...

1. Tina

Goes under "Ab-Da", "Gi-Ja", "Ta-Tj", "Tk-To", etc...

No problem there ("Ta-Tj" BTW...)

Then a list of Names, Titles, City, and Grade

The questions would then be like "Put an X next the all the "SUPERVISORS" from NEW YORK, VERMONT or CALIFORNIA, that have a grade over 70%...

That took some thinking, but still no problem...

Then, I hit the wall...

They threw in a MATH test.

I kid you not, when I saw all those math problems I got SHOOK!

We depend SO much on calculators these days, I almost forgot how to do simple math!

Especially shit with DECIMALS!

what's 297.35 times 12.58?

What's 109286.27 divided by 8.25?

What's 30% of 89?

A watch is on sale for 49.99 with the New York 8.25 state tax how much was the watch?

8367 times 52?

Whats 111234 divided by 230?

Even Simple Addition and Subtraction problems scared me!

I just lost it for a good 20 minutes, then it somehow started coming back to me.

As I worked on the test, more and more people kept coming in and waiting, these people took their time to speak with you!

I was finally finished by 2:30pm, I submitted the test and headed back home.

I was afraid they would call me while taking the bus ride back up, but thank goodness, they didn't.

Around 3:45, after I came home, it started to get REAL Dark...

A storm hit the city. Strong winds and hard rain came down. I waited a bit for it calm down for a bit and then ran out to return some DVD's the library and get some more.

at 4:45, my cell phone rang.

I passed the test! They wanted to see me for an interview! I told them I lived far up in manhattan, and it would take a hour and a half to get back down there so the scheduled a interview next tuesday. If they like me, I could start that Wednesday...

Too COOL!!!

Gosh, I was so scared by that Math Section...

I gotta brush up on my arithmetic!

It could have been worst, thou...

It could have been Fractions!

I hope this goes thru, man...those hours sound great!

Peace!

Labels:

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Good for you! I hope it all works out. Sending good vibes your way....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home