"I think I still got something left in the Basement..."

I've been thinking...and thinking...and I'm goin' to need to think some more...

Friday I checked out this college I'm thinking of going to...

My appointment was for 10:15am, I was gonna be taken on a tour of the place, see the classrooms and all that...

But there were problems on the train and I arrived late.

When I got there, the receptionist recognized me from my first initial visit.

"Hi, I remember you, you took the tour last time, right?"

"Um, er...Yeah." I replied.

So I then met up with an Admissions Counselor who proceeded to give me the rundown about the curriculum.

The challenge was there...16 Months for An Associates. Classes from 9am-3pm like I mentioned before, and it was gonna be a pretty penny...

The counselor really pitched it all good. Lots of charts, statistics and comparisons . Classes are small (average of 15 students), graduates have lifetime job placement, the school has ties to big companies, starting salaries of graduates are astronomical by my standards.

I'd graduate by December 2008

2008.

Just like that...

Could it be possible?

6 hours a day
5 Days a week
64 weeks
31 Classes

CAN I DO IT?

There's a lil glimmer in my eye...something deep down.

Inspirational music is slowly playing in my head and getting louder.

The man who'd said he could never go back...is now thinking.

...and thinking.

September-January
January-April
April-August
August-December...

31 classes, including...

Business Math I
Business Communications I & II
Keyboarding I & II
Written Communication
Professional Development
Concepts of Management
Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Drama & The Short Story

Classes that you feel are unrelated to your major, classes you've taken before. You've been down this road before back at Baruch...they were trying to make an Accountant out of you with their prerequisites and you sidesteped them before...

But then you hear about the other classes

Advanced Operating Systems
Web Development
Electronic Spreadsheets
Database Concepts
Web Authoring Tools
PC Hardware & Diagnostics
Visual Basic Programming
IT Customer Support
Implementing & Administering SQL Servers
JAVA
Computer Applications-UNIX

and suddenly, things get...very exciting!

Can I really rattle my brain like this at the age of 31, juggling work and school.

Going to bed around 1 or 2am, getting up at 7:45am, dealing with the trains that early...the damn kids, then after taking up to 5 classes go on to work till midnight. Doing homework on the bus going home...

and about this damn job?!!?

Yeah, things are slow now, and I DO have Mondays and Tuesdays off to dedicate to school...

Can this really work?

Well, after the presentation, I was given some paperwork so I can start the process...They'll request my school records and see if I'm worthy to be accepted.

I'm a bit unsettled that I'm trying to get in without really seeing the school.

I was tired anyway, goin all around would have killed me...

I gotta do some more thinking....

peace!

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    I think you can do this!
    It will keep you busy and may even start you on the path to writing again.

    I just enrolled for classes starting in a few weeks. If I can do it....you can do it.

    Good luck with whatever decision you come up with.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home