"The color of the pen, I hold in my hand, is Rrrrrrrrr...."

I tear myself away from bed at around 11am. After breakfast and a long shower to wake up, I headed downtown at 1pm. There was a meetup meeting for Bjork fans in the tri-state area. Bjork for those of you who don't know is an energetic little pop singer from iceland who is known worldwide as "The crazy chick who wore the swan dress at the oscars". Her music falls in the line of Pop, Trance, or Dance. She's know for her unique music videos and has even acted in her first and only film, a musical called "Dancer in the Dark". She also performed at the Summer Olympics during the opening ceremonies. I am an dedicated fan of her music, and it would be nice to meet other fans out there like me.

The meetup was supposed to be at the cafe in the Virgin Megastore at Times Square. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead around that area unless I was looking for a hard to get album or some sort of import single. The place is a tourist trap. Congested sidewalks, slow walking, slack-jawed out-of-towners that just make you wanna pull your hair out. I get the store a little before 2pm, make my way towards the cafe. No signs or banners on a table, no groups of people in a corner. I figure I got there a bit early so I find a stool along a long table and a waitress comes up to me demanding I order something! I don't drink coffee or tea, so I didn't know what to say. I asked for hot chocolate (Even though today was kinda warm) and I got a face, they didn't serve hot chocolate. I then lied and said I was waiting to meet a blind date, she told me to either order something or wait in another part of the store outside of the cafe. I ordered a 4.95 blueberry muffin and waited 20 minutes while the Extra from the movie "Clueless" watched me like a hawk. I took one last look around and then left.

There was another meetup at 3pm that I considered for backup. It was at the skyline Diner on 34th street. This meetup were for Comic Book fans. I haven't collected comic books since the 90's I have a pretty impressive collection that I've been trying to sell for quite awhile. I wasn't too excited on this meetup though, I have chickened out a few times for no particular reason due to my social awarkness. I'm just scared of meeting new people thinking I won't fit in. Bjork fans are one thing, but Comic Books...I'm just out of touch. In a way, I probably knew that no one was going to show up for the Bjork meetup, and that's why I tried to go. As I arrived near the diner, my feet started to get lead in them. I got pretty close to the door...and then turned and kept walking by like some "Runaway Bride"! I stopped behind a mailbox and just stared at the entrance for a few minutes. Willing myself to walk in, my legs just couldn't do it. When I RSVP the meeting, I should of left a message saying "I'll be the guy hiding behind the green mailbox down the street!", yeah I'll do that the next time there's a meetup there.

After realizing that I wasn't going in the diner, I walked around to 34th Street and 7th Avenue. I can't believe what a wimp I am. It's almost hard to believe what I did the last time I was around this area. So, walking around and enjoying the nice weather had me wishing I brought my digital camera with me, today. I headed back uptown around 5 and chilled the rest of the evening. I wish I had the nerve to start my own meetup group. One for moby fans, maybe, or something else that'll help me meet new cool people I can relate to. But seriously, what are the odds of that!!?!?!

Comments

1 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Here's what to order next time you're in that situation.

    Vanilla/Carmel latte. With whip cream! Holy dyin are those good!! I always get decaf cause I'm a hyper person anyways...no sense adding fuel to the fire ya know what I'm sayin? As far as making a meet up group? What's stoppin ya? If you move home with you momma mia you're gonna need something to get ya out of the house!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home